Grappling Fundamentals Class
This class is open to the public as well as registered Karate students.
*Respect* *Conditioning* *Leverage* *Defense*
Class Schedule Fridays: 6:45pm to 7:30pm
Learn and apply basic concepts that will assist you in your defense on the ground and gain experience rolling with your peers.
This art specializes in ground fighting techniques: navigating into positions of control with the fight-ending with either your escape, or forcing the opponent to surrender with submission holds like leg locks, arms locks, chokes and everything in between. The surrender of an opponent is usually expressed by a tapping motion (“tap-out”). Grappling is an umbrella term for martial arts/hand-to-hand combat.
Grappling Skills and Self Defense
- Grappling is used at close range to gain a physical advantage over an opponent.
- When unskilled fighters get involved in an altercation, a common reaction is to grab the other person in an attempt to slow the situation down by holding them still, resulting in a struggle that relies on brute force.
- A skilled grappler will be better at taking others down and preventing themselves from being taken down, incorporating submissions, sweeps, and striking techniques that stun the opponent. It is also geared more towards giving smaller people the upper hand over bigger opponents.
- A grappler who has been taken down to the ground can use defensive positioning such as the Guard, which protects against being mounted or attacked.
- A grappler can utilize leverage as well, making a takedown or throw a fight-ending maneuver. A skilled fighter can perform takedowns as a way of progressing to a superior position such as a Mount or side control , or using clinch holds and ground positions to set up strikes, choke holds, and joint locks
Shinpu-Ren Family Karate is a local martial arts dojo conveniently located to serve the communities of Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley, Dewey, Humbolt, Arizona.
All Rights Reserved. Copyright: Shinpu-Ren Family Karate, Prescott Valley, Arizona